Become a mapping expert on your ranch! Charley Orchard from Land EKG will teach you how to use Google Earth to map your ranch and use it as a management tool. No experience necessary, and Google Earth is free.
With this one-day, personalized class, you’ll be confident using Google Earth to:
1) Map your ranch! Draw out fences, corrals, tanks, ponds, pipelines, troughs, gates, etc…
2) Plan future land and pasture improvements (eg, waterlines, fencing, veg control, and habitat improvement practices).
3) Map and measure weeds, brush, and plan management strategies.
4) Calculate acreages and distances of paddocks, weedy areas, fences and other features.
5) Print maps and specific management plans for employees, agencies, or others.
6) Develop and archive annual grazing plans.
7) Track and develop your land monitoring program.
8) Easily share map files back and forth.
9) Print maps and specific management plans for employees, agencies, board of directors, and others.
On Maui, it will be at Seabury Hall’s Upper School Computer Lab, 480 Olinda Road.
On Big Island, the class will be held at Kanu o ka ‘Āina’s Kauhale ‘Ōiwi o Pu’ukapu in Waimea.
Dates & Times: MAUI — Saturday, March 15, 2014 — 9:00-4:00pm. BIG ISLAND — Saturday, March 22, 2014 — 9:00-4:00pm.
Big Island Directions: From Mamalahoa Hwy/Hawaii Belt Rd, take Kamamalu Street and follow it to the end where it turns and becomes Hiiaka Street. Kauhale will be on the right (Mauna Kea side of the road), just before the corner of Hiiaka and Hale Alii Street. Go to the Kauhale ‘Ōiwi o Pu’ukapu, right at the back of Kuhio Village in Waimea.
Cost to participate is $30 per person. Big Island cost includes lunch and beverages, so no need to bring your own or go to town. Maui cost provides for a one-hour lunch break. Charley usually teaches this as a 3-session webinar for $75. But with this workshop, it’s live and in person! Bring your laptop if you have one (pre-loaded with Google Earth), or use one of the computers provided.
Registration by March 10 is limited to 30 people for each session. Call Stacie Francis at Hawaii Cattlemen’s Council, Inc. to register and pay the course fee at 808-885-5599.
If you bring your own computer, it must have Google Earth pre-loaded. Click to download and install Google Earth for free.
Land EKG is a partner with Hawaii GLCI.